Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Fun Safety Day Event At Martin G. Atkins School September 16th, 2015



First I would like to Thank Atkins School Elementary Principal Mrs. Susan Duran and Bridgeport School Resource Officer Brent Green for inviting me to this event.  They did a good job with this event and I think I enjoyed it almost as much as the children did.
There were representatives from the Bridgeport Fire Department, the Bridgeport Police Department, the US Coast Guard, St. Mary's Hospital Flight Care, Mobile Medical Response Ambulance and Consumers Energy.  The children got to see the different crews and listen to them talk about their jobs and equipment and safety, climb on board the vehicles, ask questions, lots of questions!  They also had safety training for the groups of children on bus safety, the proper way to get on the bus, seating, behavior, and getting off the buses.
I think the representatives from the organizations did a great job talking with the children and handling all their questions. I would also like to commend the staff of Atkins for the job they did, and also the Bridgeport High School students they had helping with the event.  I got to meet and speak with some of the teachers and staff and I was very impressed with everyone I met and everything I saw there this morning.   I only captured some small portions of the morning on video.  I think one of the big hits was the sirens, but the flight care landing and the fire truck ladder going up and down were pretty popular too!  Watching the children enjoy the event was a joy for me. The first event with one of the groups of children that I videotaped was the US Coast Guard rescue air boat. I was so engrossed with their presentation and watching the children interact that somehow I forgot to hit record on my camera.  I did go back later and catch another group with them.
Again, Great Job on this event.  I don't know how many other schools do things like this but it would be nice if all schools did this.  They will be holding this event again next year in September, I believe in the third week of the school year, and I hope to be there to capture it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment