Thursday, August 1, 2019

Public Hearing On Property Tax Increase In Bridgeport Township August 2019

On Tuesday, August 6th, there will be a public hearing held during the regular township board meeting.  The hearing will be on the proposed property tax increase.


The only notice of the tax increase & the hearing on this I found was on page 18 of the July 31, 2019 issue of the Birch Run Bridgeport Herald. I looked on the township website and there is no notice there about this increase or hearing. The agenda is not posted yet on the website for the August 6th board meeting, that would include the hearing notice.  There was no notice sent out through their constant contact email service about the increase or hearing. I would think for a property tax increase & public hearing on the issue that the township would put a little more effort into informing the residents so they will have a chance to provide input on the matter, and put the information out there sooner than just 6 days before the hearing.  This public hearing appears to be the only time residents will have to obtain more information on this increase and provide their input on the matter.  Will the residents input really even matter?  I have my doubts about that.

Is it just me or is this notice confusing to anyone else also?  I am hoping there will be more information provided by the township at this meeting, a meeting that probably few residents will even be aware of.  I suspect there will be residents that suspect the township is intentionally trying to keep this increase and hearing quiet because of past history of this township government and tax increases.  I suspect there will be a few residents that feel like we are back in 2010 again.  Let's Hope We Aren't!


No comments:

Post a Comment