Thursday, September 9, 2021

Bridgeport Township DDA Meeting September 8th, 2021

On the Agenda:
Approval of Agenda begins at 1:02
Approval of Minutes - August 11, 2021 begins at 1:24
New Business:
1. Beautification Sub-Committee Report begins at 2:08
2. Equipment Discussion begins at 4:05
Old Business:
1. RRC/MEDC Update - CEDAM Fellowship begins at 24:30
2. Land at Dixie & Wigen and 6227 Dixie (Former Hillier Studio Property) begins at 25:35
They go into a Closed Session at 28:07
DDA Coordinator's Report begins at 30:00
DDA Member Comments begin at 32:52
© 2021 Carla Citizen All Rights Reserved



They didn't use the microphones very often during this meeting and some of the people speak very softly so sorry if you can't hear everything.  I couldn't hear everything even while standing in the same room with them.

From the Beautification Sub-Committee - The flower pots will be coming back again next year.  You could argue the pro's and con's about that, like it is a lot of money and that money could be spent elsewhere in our community; and on the pro side - I Love The Flower Pots!!  End of discussion!

Next from the sub-committee was talk about looking into the Asphalt Art Initiative, and they are looking at possible grant money for that. They are thinking about it in the Dixie/ Bearcat Blvd. area, the Dixie/State St. are and possibly around the bridge area I think.  I like this idea!  I am assuming this is the program they are looking at: Asphalt Art Initiative
You can see the photo at the top of their page is from right here in Saginaw County at Ojibway Island.

They are also talking about having a Fall cleanup on October 15th at 1pm. I will post more when it is available.  This is another nice idea I like!

Next up was the equipment purchase discussion. My understanding of the discussion is they will be purchasing a piece of equipment that they will use for snow removal on some sidewalk areas and places like the bridge and trail.  I'm not clear if this equipment will also be used for other things.  It sounds like the DDA and the township will be splitting the cost.  I think this also has to go to the regular town board for approval?  They do have a long and informative discussion about this subject during the meeting that you can watch here in the video.
This is another subject you could argue the pro's and con's on. First it is again a lot of money, and money that could and probably should be spent elsewhere and on more important things in our community. I argued against this when it was proposed several years ago.  On the pro side:  At this point in my life I am just damned tired of seeing the mess our sidewalks are every winter.  We have so many walkers that try to walk year round in the downtown area, kids from the schools walking, but sadly in the winter time many of these sidewalks are not safe to walk on. I'm not sure which sidewalk areas would be cleared by the township, I doubt it would be in all the neighborhoods.  That is a nice dream though!  Some of you have probably seen me out trying to snow blow off some of the sidewalks in the downtown area over the years.  I tried to keep the ones going to the post office clear for all the neighbors that walked there, especially our elderly residents.  I am not physically able to do that very often anymore, so yes, at this time, I would like to see these sidewalks kept clear by whatever means is available.  Buy the equipment!!

During the board member comment section Jeff McNally mentioned that their business, McNally-Nimergood Cranes will be having an open house to show their new facilities on October 1st.  Not sure if it is open to the general public,

No comments:

Post a Comment